Friday, October 17, 2014

Powell, Child and Rice?

             For those of you who don't know, I have been cooking French meals so we can experience French culture without paying tons of money. I have been using Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and following in the footstep of both her and Julie Powell. If you don't understand who that is, or just haven't seen Julie and Julia watch the video below:
          I love it!!! Anyway, I am not doing the craziness that Julie Powell did cooking through the whole cookbook in 365 days; Or awesomeness that Julia Child did by going to French culinary school and writing a cookbook; I am, however, doing my small Juliesque thing by making a weekly French meal. I do feel some sort of connection with these two woman. I feel like I can experience a snippet of their lives while cooking the same food they did even though we are separated by time and age. 

          The latest of these meals was yesterday. I made escargot, boeuf bourguignon, boiled potatoes, buttered peas and mousse au chocolat. Boeuf borguignon is beef stew, which takes forever to make but is totally worth it!  Escargot are snails. Wait, you ate snails?! Yes, I did and they were really good! The whole meal was really good, if I do say so myself. Anyway, the next you go grocery shopping pick yourself up some snails and eat them, then you'll be French!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Nancy, you are wonderful, but I just CAN'T eat snails. I have eaten fried grasshoppers in Cameroon though. Guess that makes me a little brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you be so cool, Nancy??? Sheesh. I want to try all the things you've made, or at least your favorites. Maybe could you send me your favorite recipes, so I could try to make them? (I couldn't do snails bc they don't sell them at my grocery store...)

    ReplyDelete