Friday, September 5, 2014

Tidbits


     This girl is the reason this post was again delayed. Last night, we got to skype! It was the first time I've actually used Skype myself since we've got here, true fact! It was really good to catch up and just hang out! We actually had a movie date tonight since, thanks to Google Hangout, we can watch it at exactly the same time! 

       On Wednesday, I started school which took me til 9pm because I didn't start til around noon. Boo. Then on Thursday, I not only had school, but also started babysitting Sydney full-time. It's not that bad, especially because she takes a morning and afternoon nap. Well she "takes" a nap, she hasn't been sleeping very well in the mornings, sadly. School is tough; I should expected it but that still doesn't make it very fun. Below is Sydney and another of her new friends, Elise! They have the same hair color, are around the same age,  are the same height, and are cute as can be. 

    
     
     We got a bike! Since biking is such a big thing here, we decided get our own. We only have one as of now but we are hoping to get more! On Tuesday, Shannon, Sydney and I along with our new friend, Amanda went on a bike ride. At first, we were supposed to go for a 25 minute recreational ride and then head to the big Walmart-like store. Well, we left the campus and set out on a nice ride along this beautiful river. It was really nice, the weather was grand, the river was a gorgeous light grey-blue color, and the company was great. After we stopped and splashed around in the river, we decided to head to the stowwah. (if you don't understand here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3yMCOE8nNY) Well, turns out, none of us actually knew how to get to the store from the river. We did,  however, know that the store was near the Olympic Center, so we followed the signs to there. Although there were a few close calls, we didn't die and only made one wrong turn.

 What is that, you may ask. Well, it's the inside of a washing machine. The laundromat here cost €3 per load, so my dad has been trying to fix several washing machine. This is machine #3 and still no sign of cheaper laundry in sight, although my dad is getting pretty creative.
    
 This is a common sight in the Rice apartment. Right now the score is Nancy = 2, Dad = 1, and Ryan = 1. Well, the first time I "broke" glass, it wasn't my fault, when we got here from the airport I opened my backpack to find my nicely wrapped glass frames broken. Grrr.... That was a hassle to clean out of my sheets and all my other stuff in my backpack. The second thing I broke was a half full bottle of wine, it was in our fridge door. Who keeps wine in the fridge door? We do apparently. Well, I was opening up the fridge to get something and wasn't thinking: Oh, let me open the fridge door slowly and carefully, so that the white wine that's in the door won't fly out and shatter all over the floor. So, I just opened the door, pretty quickly might I add, and there went the wine all over everything. Life in France, one and all.

     One of my favorite snacks here, which I eat
frequently, is plain yogurt and jam. You should try it, it's supa tasty. Also on the topic of food, we had ice cream last night for the first time here! We had Mango, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Vanilla with this really good, if I may say so myself, peach syrup that I made.

     My time here has been a mix of good and bad things, but I think you'll find that anywhere. I am excited to learn French and to become more apart of the community. I am ready to get in the rhyme of school and watching Sydney. I do miss my "family" and the comforts of St. Louis. The whole idea that we're not just away for a bit still hasn't fully sunk in and I dread the day it does.






1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. You are making the best of some difficulties. I knew you would. Have fun. Love you. Grandma

    ReplyDelete