Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Wanted One French Alps City, Goes by the Alibi Albertville

Our visit to Paris!!
This is a journal entry I wrote a couple of days ago, while I was in Kinshasa. I found myself surprisingly homesick and wrote about what I was missing. Here it is, with some edits and additions for clarification!

Today, I was looking at a toy camera that the Lind Kids’ got in Paris and each time you pushed the shutter button, it would show pictures from Paris. Oddly, when I saw them, I got homesick….it’s not like we lived there or even visited often; but there was something about it that made me miss France.
Last picture in Albertville
 
Most of all, I miss the people, our short time with those people in Albertville. I miss my classmates, who made class fun and the talk of cockroaches ever-present! J I miss Greg’s love of limes and sassy comments, Tom and Melissa’s shared coffee, Rachael’s perfectly understandable notes, Bryant’s love of brownies in yogurt containers, Patrick’s stories of his son’s eating habits, Donette’s healthy in-class snacks, Susan and Melissa’s unintentional matching outfits and Nathan’s good explanations. I miss my friends there (this not extensive, if it was you’d be here for quite a while). I miss Jonathan’s amazing guitar playing, Sarah’s sarcasm, Amanda’s always available hugs, Heidi’s sassy spunk, Roxy’s listening and presents (not the gift kind), Julia’s love of Gilmore Girls, Pascal’s readiness to go, Emma’s art talent, and Naomi’s silliness! I miss Anne and her laugh, her cough. I miss her gentle corrections and quick smile. I miss living in such a close-knit community.
Family Friend Photo

I miss my friends there who didn’t go to the language school. Our language partners, David and Isabelle, who are sweet, kind and hospitable. Roxanne, Fanny and Anaelle and our laughing and observing. Allen, I miss him too with his warm smile and quick bisou. His constant compliments. His commenting on my Savoyard accent with his Savoyard accent.
Hiking in Albertville
I miss being a hop away from Sydney. I miss walks to the clear, swift river. I miss ConFlans (our medieval city). I miss being a courtyard away from my friends. I miss quick internet and plenty of pillows. (Not sure where that came from…) I miss having full #CongoTeam dinners and bringing baked goods down a flight of stairs to the Linds. I miss boulangeries and delicious cheese.
I miss my coffee shop. The Wednesdays I spent there with Heidi and Roxy and our frappes. I miss Tuesday night movie nights with stellar movies and delicious “lemonade.” I miss night walks. I miss the lights of my city from way up high. The way they glowed and reminded me to look up at the many stars up above. I miss cooking and being able cook several course meals from Julia Child’s cookbook. For euro prices that I can understand and little grocery shops. My heart aches for it.

Albertville at night!
Albertville won’t ever be the same and, honestly, I’ll probably never go back. Maybe, but it’s not an easy place to get to. I had my little stay there. I was put there at the right time with the right people. I love my Albertville. It is my home. St. Louis don’t worry so are you, but now I have 2 homes. Soon, I’m sure another will be added, but Vanga hasn’t felt like home, yet; but it will come with time, it will come.
Playing with Mama
But there are tastes of Albertville here, tastes that make moving easier. The Linds are just a short MAF plane ride away and the Potters are just a walk across the village. Both families have been to our home in St. Louis, our apartment in Albertville and our house in Vanga, they’re our family and friends here and I am so very thankful to have them so close.
I spy a Lindian!











1 comment:

  1. Love your writing. Though you sound sad for what you miss, I hear the overtone of joy at having had such wonderful friends and experiences. Rich.

    ReplyDelete